TWEEDSMUIR PARISH HISTORY

 

 View of the Tweedsmuir Hills from site of iron age fort on the summit of Whiteside Rig.

 Insert in image is part of a poem titled Tweedsmuir by the Rev. John Buchan 1847- 1911 (1) 

Some of the secrets held in these smooth and green rolling hills have been gleaned by diligent research and are presented, not very expertly, on the following pages. 

The editor of this site is well aware that the subject of local heritage is not a priority for many people.  In fact, a 5-year Community Action Plan in 2017, that included the views of the community on various subjects, concluded that only 5% of those polled thought that heritage had any importance.  This 5% will consist of the more elderly in the community.   Never the less this is a very disappointing statistic .   It is hoped that this website will address this inbalance in some way and be of assistance in implementing part of the aforementioned Action Plan.  A more modern website would be an improvement - this is being worked on.

The etching of the landscape was commenced by a hunter c4000 BC who dropped his broken yew bow in a bog, he left no other mark on the landscape.   He was followed by many others who left very distinctive marks such as cairns  standing stones , settlement sites, etc.

There are still many mysteries to be investigated including the early history of Chapel Knowe the enigmatic small hill on which the present Tweedsmuir Kirk stands.   The mound is sited towards the centre of a concentrated bronze age landscape.  The later Druids were the successors to this landscape and must have continued the occupation of the mound.  Another mystery is why a small hillock near the source of the River Tweed is named with the grandiose title of Crown of Scotland?  Was this the site of the Forest of Calidon of Arthurian legend?

However, it was the medieval familes, with their castles, that were better recorded in the annals of Scottish history, that are best remembered.   However, the best remembered should maybe be Merlin Caledonius?

______________________________________________________________________________________________

The Early Families of Fraser.

 The Frasers first arrived in the Tweedsmuir area in the twelfth century and settled in.   They built castles at Oliver, Fruid and Neidpath and became the progenitors of the current highland families of Clan Fraser, Lovat Fraser and many Fraser cadet lines.   

 

To read more click on heading below.

Frasers of Oliver Castle.

Frasers of Fruid Castle.

Fruid Castle - Site of.

Frasers of Neidpath Castle and the Yew trees of Neidpath.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

  Hunter Family of Polmood.

The first Hunter came to the area in the twelfth century and established a Hunter family at Polmood in parallel with the Hunter family of Hunterstoun - the chiefly line of Clan Hunter.   The family remained at Polmood until the nineteenth century when the lands were sold and the line came to an end. 

 

To read more click on heading below.

Hunter of Polmood.

Polmood House.

The Hunter Case.

Capture of Sir John Murray at Polmood.

Bourhouse.

________________________________________________________________________________________

 TWEEDIE FAMILY OF OLIVER

The  family arrived in Tweedsmuir at the end of the fifteenth century and resided at Oliver Castle taking over from the Hays.  The first was William Tweedie of Oliver - alive in 1489 - a younger son of James Tweedie of Drumelzier.  His descendants still reside in the area.

To read more click on heading below.

Tweedie of Oliver

Bield.

Cadger Acre.

Half Mile House.

Carlow's Bridge.

 _____________________________________________________________________________________

WELSH FAMILY OF TWEEDSMUIR

Members of the Welsh family were well established in the area when the Parish of Tweedsmuir was formed in 1644.   They were heavily involved in the subsequent Covenanting era.   The family is well represented by brass wall mounted plaques in the Tweedsmuir Kirk.  On the plaque listing all the Ministers since 1644 is the Rev. James Welsh of Menzion, Minister 1721-1755.  The Rev. David Welsh DD Founder of the Free Church of Scotland in 1843 is remembered on another plaque.   There are two other plaques remembering two cousins, both Tom Welsh, who died in WW1.

To read more click on heading below.

Welsh of Tweedsmuir. (Includes family tree.)

Tweedsmuir Parish Kirk 1874-Present. (Wall Plaques)

_____________________________________________________________________________________

 PORTEOUS FAMILY OF HAWKSHAW.

The Porteous family were resident at Hawkshaws in the Fruid valley since the fifteenth century and remained there for three centuries.   They built a castle there of which the remnants are still evident and is the seat of Clan Porteous.  In recent times the Porteous Clan have built a memorial on the site.

 

To read more click on heading below.

Porteous of Hawkshaw.  (Find spot of Roman Marble Head.)

_____________________________________________________________________________________

 HAY FAMILY OF TALLA.

The Hays inherited part of the Barony of Oliver with the marriage of Gilbert Hay to the Heiress Mary Fraser c1312.  Part of these lands was the Talla valley where the summer residence, known as Tallashiels was located.   This was first owned by the Frasers then by the Hays of Oliver Castle.  A cadet line of the Hays styled themselves as Hay of Talla.

To read more click heading below.

Hay of Talla.  Includes Hay family of Nether Menzion.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

 CHISHOLM/E FAMILY OF TWEEDSMUIR.

The Chisholmes were established in Tweedsmuir where they were recorded in 1639.   However by 1700 they had vanished from the Tweedsmuir records.   What happened to them and where did they go?

 

To read more click on heading below.

Chisholm of Tweedsmuir.

____________________________________________________________________________________

JOHN BUCHAN (1875-1941) First Lord Tweedsmuir.

John Buchan was born in Perth, Scotland.  He was a diplomat, barrister, journalist, historian,poet, Member of Parliament, and novelist.  It is probably the last of these attributes for which he is remembered - namely the author of the novel The Thirty Nine Steps.  He took the title of Lord Tweedsmuir in 1935 when he was appointed as Governor General of Canada.

To read more click on heading below.

John Buchan.

 _______________________________________________________________________________

 EARLY PEOPLES.

 

 

 

 

To read more click on heading below.

Early Peoples.   4000 BC Longbow, Cists, cairns, enclosures etc.

Standing Stone Circles.   Bronze Age followed by Druids.

Standing Stone Features.

Crown of Scotland.   Site of the Forest of Calidon associated with Merlin Calidonius.

Merlin Calidonius.     (Page under construction Sep/2018)

Chapel Knowe   The enigmatic mound on which the present Kirk stands.   

Devastation of Heritage Sites.

Romans.   Ericstanebrae gold fibula.

______________________________________________________________________________________

THE PILGRIM'S WAY & SPREAD OF CHRISTIANITY IN UPPER TWEED

A pathway through the Parish of Tweedsmuir from south to north was commenced by Pagan sun worshippers.  Followed by Druids such as Merlin then by Christians like St Kentigern (Mungo) and St Cuthbert.  The Presbyterian faith was embraced and the new Parish of Tweedsmuir was formed.   The area became a hotbed of Covenanting activity.  At this time the first recorded Kirk was built on Chapel Knowe in 1644 with a subsequent replacement second Kirk in 1874.  

To read more click on heading below.

The Pilgrim's Way. Merlin & St. Kentigern (Mungo).

Tweeds Cross.  Boundary and Way Marker 

Fruid Chapel.  Burial Ground.

Kingledores Chapel

The Covenanters.

Chapel Knowe. The enigmatic mound on which the Kirks were built

Tweedsmuir first Kirk 1648-1874.

Tweedsmuir Second Kirk 1874-Present.

Tweedsmuir War Memorial.  (in entrance hall of Kirk)

Tweedsmuir Kirkyard.

Tweedie Armorial Plaque.

Symbolic spy-hole in Kirk door.

________________________________________________________________________________________

HOPECARTON & CARTERHOPE THE VALLEYS OF THE CARTS - MONKS OF MELROSE.

The Cistercian Monks of Melrose arrived in the 13th century and set up a very prosperous hill sheep farming industry spread over the Tweedsmuir Hills based at Hopecarton.   They exported the wool and fleeces to Flanders via the wool market in Roxburgh  where the wool/fleeces were taken by horse drawn carts thence to Berwick for export.

To read more click on heading below.

Hopecarton & Carterhope.   Monks of Melrose

_____________________________________________________________________________________

CROOK INN 

 

The Crook inn dates back to 1604 and was one of the first licensed premises in Scotland.   It has a stirring history and much of the history of Scotland has passed its doors.  Many literary giants of the Scottish Enlightment enjoyed the hospitality of the Inn.  It is listed by H.E.S as category C.   The listing is because of the Art Deco features such as the windows shown on image on left also an Art Deco garden.  Sadly the Inn was closed and was under threat from developers to convert the property into flats.   However, the local community stepped in and managed to buy the property after years of neglect.   It is now under development as a formal Community Hub a function that it had provided for many years prior to closure.

To read more click on heading below.

Crook Inn   History

Origin of the Name of Crook.

Willie Wastle's Wife.  Poem by Robert Burns about Willie Wastle who resided at Linkcumdodie. 

Maclaren's Leap.  Escape of Donald Maclaren at the Devil's Beeftub. Also known as Maclaurin.

 ________________________________________________________________________________________ 

 Tweedswell the source of the River Tweed.

   

At the layby on the A701 overlooking the source of the River Tweed is a stone monument depicting the story of the river from the source to Berwick on the north sea.

To read more click on heading below.

 

Tweedswell - the Source of the River Tweed and other wells in Tweedsmuir

_______________________________________________________________________________

TALLA RESERVOIR AND RAILWAY.

The Talla reservoir was constructed between 1895-1905.   This was to provide water to Edinburgh via an aquaduct that was also part of the project.   A service railway was built between the existing railway station in Broughton and dam to bring workers and materials to the site.  The project was bedeviled by delays, rumours of drunkeness and many industrial fatalities.   An outbreak of smallpox in Scotland was traced to the site.  A fine house was also built as an HQ for the Edinburgh Water Works company and residence for the site Managers named Victoria Lodge.

To read more click on heading below.

Talla Reservoir & Railway.

Victoria Lodge.  

_____________________________________________________________________________________ 

POSTAL SERVICES IN TWEEDSMUIR.

To read more click on heading below.

Old Post Offices in Tweedsmuir.

 Postie Stone.  Mail Coach Monument.

______________________________________________________________________________________

JUBILEE ROAD.

The Jubilee road was constructed in 1977 by the Forestry Commission as an eight mile forest drive through recently planted sitka spruce plantation.

 

 

To read more click on heading below.

Jubilee Road.  

Forestry Commission leaflet

_____________________________________________________________________________

 MISCELLANEOUS ITEMS OF INTEREST.

To read more click on heading below.

Forkfoots Farm - Site of.

 Great Plague of 1645 in Upper Tweed.

 Formal Walled Gardens of Tweedsmuir.

 Saw Pits in Tweedsmuir Vilage in 1855.   

 _______________________________________________________________________________________

 REFERENCES

1)   Buchan, John, Rev; Tweedside Echoes Moorland Musings, John Mclaren, Edinburgh, 1881.  Poem titled "Tweedsmuir" p22.

 References/Bibliography for Tweedsmuir Parish Heritage.

The Royal Commission on the Ancient Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS) and Historic Scotland (HS) combined in 2015 to form a new organisation Historic Environment Scotlanf (HES).   The references in the above pages to the RCAHMS and HS should now be read as H.E.S.   The online archive "Canmore" www.canmore.org.uk continues/expanding and the relevant site ID numbers from Canmore are included on the above pages.

Also in 2016 the National Archives of Scotland - NAS - rebranded themselves as the National Records of Scotland - NRS.

TOP