TWEEDSMUIR PARISH HISTORY.

Origin of the Tweedies.

There is a wonderful legend where a warrior left for the crusades and when he came home after some years to find his young wife in possession of a sturdy son.   Her simple explanation was that as she wandered one day by the River Tweed, its radiant god (water nymph) came out of its depth, came by force her lover.   The child was given the name of Tweedie.(1).

Unfortunately for the truth of this story the name is derived from the lands of Tweedie in the parish of Stonehuse Lanarkshire.  Finlay de Twydn of Lanarkshire appears in The Ragman Roll of 1296. (2)(3).  Roger son of Finlay of Twydyn, had a charter of the house and lands of Drumelzier c1320 and possessed lands and the barony for fully three hundred years.(3).

The Tweedie family extended south into what is now Tweedsmuir Parish taking over the lands of Oliver c1489 and Fruid in 1525.   See pages Tweedie of Oliver and  Fraser of Fruid,

For a more extensive view of the Tweedie family origins indeed of the family in general see Michael Forbes Tweedie's excellent book (4)

References.

1)   Buchan, J W, Paton, Rev H;  History of Peeblesshire, Jackson Wylie, Glasgow, 1927.  Vol iii p352.

2)  Bains, Joseph;  Calendar of Documents Relating to Scotland, Vol 1 1272-1307 - Ragman Roll, Doc No 238 

3) Black, George F; The Surnames of Scotland, Birlinn, Edinburgh, 1999. p784.

4) Tweedie, Michael Forbes; The History of the Tweedie or Tweedy Family, A record of Scottish Lowland Life and Character, W.P. Griffiths, London, 1902.

 

TOP