TWEEDSMUIR PARISH HISTORY.

Tweedies of Oliver.

The first recorded Tweedie of Oliver was William Tweedie of Oliver who was alive in 1489.  He was descended from the Tweedies of Drumelzier and was a younger son of James Tweedie of Drumelzier and Catherine of Caverhill.(1)

(There are several Tweedie family lines descended from the Tweedies of Drumelzier(2).   One important line is that descended from the marriage in 1525 between James Tweedie of Drumelzier and Catherine Fraser the Heiress of the Frasers of Fruid, more about this on page Frasers of Fruid.) 

The first few generations of the Tweedies of Oliver were known as the Tweedies of Oliver Castle.  However in 1649 Patrick Tweedie built a house on his own lands of Oliver, and after that the family were designated as "of Oliver".  One presumes that by 1649 Oliver Castle which had been built by the Frasers of Oliver in the twelfth century had became uninhabitable. Hence the requirement for a new dwelling and the castle site then became a ruin of which nothing now sadly remains.  However the house of 1649 was replaced in 1734 by a smaller house built to the south east of the former.  This is the current house though it itself has been significantly modified.

Unlike their lawless ancestors the Tweedies of Drumelzier the Tweedies of Oliver were upright citizens and very capably carried out their duties as Lairds of Tweedsmuir.

Thomas Tweedie of Oliver was laird during the Killing Time of the Covenanting era 1660-1680 and undoubtedly he held the community together during this difficult time.   More about the Covenanters in Tweedsmuir on the Covenanters page.

The second son of the above Thomas, also a Thomas, was the ancestor of the Tweedies of Rachan and Quarter line.   His youngest grand daughter was Anne Tweedie (1797-1824) married to Robert Newbigging(1).  Memorial headstone in Tweedsmuir Kirkyard near to the Tweedie of Oliver lair (3).   The headstone recalls that the third son of Anne and Robert - also a Robert - died on board ship named the Woodstock leaving Jamaica in 1838.  He was only 18 years.  Their second son John died in Jamaica in 1839 aged 22. 

Unfortunately the male line died out with the death of Thomas Tweedie of Oliver in 1803.  His youngest daughter Christian married Thomas Stodart of Cardrona Mains and their eldest son George born 1799 took the name of Tweedie - Stodart.

References.

1)  Buchan, J. W. and Paton, H, Rev; History of Peeblesshire, Jackson Wylie, Glasgow, 1927. Vol III pp 383-385 for Tweedie of Oliver. p 284 for Tweedie of Rachan.

2)  Tweedie, Forbes, Michael; The History of the Tweedie or Tweedy, Family; A Record of Scottish Lowland Life & Character, W.P. Griffiths, London, 1902.

3)   Scott, Sheila, Monumental Inscriptions for Peeblesshire, Scottish Genealogy Society, Edinburgh, 1993. p 114.

TOP